I am, because he is.

I am, because he is.

Baba has this need to know my location and most of his calls begin with, “where are you?” 
 It’s a chilly winter eve, Baba calls to ask if I have worn enough warm clothes, since I am prone to cough n cold.
Corona Crisis. Baba calls to make sure, I am not going out without mask and have enough sanitizer stock at home.
Sunday morning. He calls to ask if I need vegetables, since he is on his weekly shopping spree at the vegetable market.
I buy something that is ridiculously expensive (by his standards) and he gives me an earful about the virtue of savings.
Bought shirts for him and he is upset, since he doesn’t need them. Never heard him say he needs to buy something for himself.
I am unwell with mild fever and cold. Baba comes home!

I am 41, Baba is 70. In his mind though, he is 41 and I am 24. No, make that 14. The quintessential Marathi middleclass manoos. He raised me believing, the greatest virtue is kindness and intellectual growth is way more important than financial growth. That procrastination is a sin and never to forget your roots as you spread your wings. In sync with his traditional marathi values, some of his pet peeves have been me not wearing a bindi or mangalsutra at times.:)

His indulgences are simple: politics, cricket and old hindi movies. It's with him that I have watched almost all of the hit films from 70's. He is happiest in the confines of  his home. From him I have learnt , adventure isn’t necessarily climbing mountains and jumping off cliffs or holidays at exotic destinations.  It's being kind, spreading your goodness around and leaving a little bit of you in all you meet. My heart swells with pride and respect for him, when the staff in our office or the domestic staff refer to him as, ‘Dev Manoos’

My favourite thing these days is, when Baba comes home unexpectedly, for a cup of 'chahaa and gappa'. I have taken after my father in many ways,( even though I am nowhere close to his discipline, his simplicity and his ability to empathise)
 and the one thing we both love is, chatting with each other about anything under the Sun.

 Today, I will surely wish him a Happy Fathers Day, only to be told, how this is irrelevant and he doesn’t agree to this alien concept. Still, I know something within him will smile for a moment.


I am, because he is. Happy father's Day, Baba !


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Loss And Moving On.

Aai.

Mesmerising Khajuraho.