Aai.

 Day 1:

                                                                         AAI.


My aai has been anything but conventional. Born in a small village, she lost her mother at the age of 6. Living with a large extended family, slowly but surely, chartered her way through and moved to Nagpur. Ambitious and  determined, from an early age, she learnt to navigate her way and ultimately realised her dream of becoming a Doctor.

In those days, when females married early and bore children, Aai took her own sweet time and married at the age of 26 ( I got married at 24 :P)! Two years post marriage, she completed her Post Graduation in Pediatrics with a toddler in tow. 

Focused, dedicated, sincere, kind, loving, forthright and short tempered is how I would define her :) When all my friends mothers were telling them to participate more actively in the kitchen , she would push me out of it.When mothers would pamper daughters and overfeed them post delivery, Aai would scold me for eating senselessly! Two of her lessons I remember the most, one, as a child she would  discuss with me over our long chat sessions about how never to develop feelings like  jealousy, hatred, and malice towards anyone, whatever happens. The other one was when I got married,  she told me, you have all my blessings but never let go of your self esteem and ethics, whatever the situation.

Always a go getter, the expert doctor, I have seen parents of patients with tears in their eyes, telling her she has been demi -God to their child, many believing that only her Midas touch could cure their children..Aai has travelled all over, presenting papers at conferences, accepting awards, climbing the top most position in her career and shining through!

A wanderer at heart- she has travelled from Laddakh to Alaska, and now goes to to her favourite place, Melghat - where she works for the malnourished children.

She is the go-to person for her Grand kids. Their Encyclopedia, the story teller, the one who spoils them rotten and usually stands with them against their parents.

Not one to mince her words and opinions, Aai and I have our regular and continuous fireworks.She usually tells me, how I am the most difficult person to deal with. Me being HER daughter, tell her exactly the same :) We have our moments too. In a sense our roles are reversed these days, where at times I mother her, indulge her and I know she enjoys it. Our Annual Maa- Beti trips are something she looks forward to.

The way she has emerged from all the obstacles and and hindrances, including some serious health scares in the recent past, is something I look up to in awe and amazement. Living each day with unbridled enthusiasm and taking life one day at a time.

I see Durga in her. The creator and the nurturer. With deepest humility, this 1st day of Navratra, I dedicate to her.


Comments

  1. So very well expressed, Jaee! What a befitting tribute to aunty. I feel like I know her so much better now. Looking forward to the next 8 days!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Love, Loss And Moving On.

The Frangipani Ring